Monday, October 12, 2009

IN THE END

Is it possible to describe a trip such as we had? It's both memory and emotion, a never ending feast for the senses. For me, it was a two-month time-capsule of joy and contentment, an opportunity to relax and rejuvenate, to experience meaningfully another lifestyle.

I visited a landscape of farmsteads, vineyards, sunflower meadows and garrigues, strewn with medieval villages and strongholds. A land of myth and history, gargoyled churches and half-timbered houses. It's where I found dramatic river gorges, waterfalls, endless azure skies and sundrenched days. Gastronomic pleasures such as foie gras, tapenade, magret de canard and olive oil became everyday fare. Traditional markets brimmed with fat bunches of pink garlic and white asparagus, succulent melons, rounds of creamy Pélardon goat cheese, sage and honey vinegar. I will keep close to my heart the narrow and winding streets, the stone houses with pastel shutters, a pigeonnier under every roof, the reassuring chime of the church bells, the tranquility, the lazy day cafés.

I loved this country, its pace, its people. There is a chord deep inside me that resonated as I spoke my mother tongue. Ma France, je te reviendrai!

No comments:

Post a Comment